Senior Backend Software Developer (Ruby on Rails)
Help us build a better way for associations with the world’s first Member Data Platform.
Associations create communities and advocate for progress. They deserve best-in-class software so they can focus more on making our world stronger. Come build it with us!
We’re a growing startup with a world-class SaaS product. Our roots are in Ottawa, Ontario, but we’re remote, so our team works from all across Canada. We’re creating new roles and adding to our team of developers, data analysts, product owners, sales, marketing, and customer experience specialists. Our customer base continues to grow throughout Canada and the US – we doubled last year and will again this year. We’re always on the lookout for our next new Wicketeer to join and grow with us.
The problem Wicket solves
We build and sell the world’s first Member Data Platform (MDP). Not only are we building a new product, but we’ve created a new software category.
Our customers are associations who are membership-based organizations and non-profits. They provide services and benefits to a specific group, profession, or community. Nearly every industry you can think of has an active association, so our reach is vast and diverse. For example, we have a customer who serves as a think tank for better public policies in Canada, and another who acts as a voice for renewable energy and storage solutions to power Canada’s future.
Until Wicket, associations were stuck managing their data through antiquated Association Management Software (AMS). Worse, this software tries to do it all – data, content management, email marketing, event management, e-commerce and so on – but one software can’t be the best at everything.
We knew there had to be a better way, so we reinvented how associations manage and engage with their members. Wicket frees associations’ data to integrate with best-in-class software including MailChimp, WordPress, WooCommerce, Fusebill, Tableau, Eventbrite, Moodle, and Shopify. The list goes on and we’re always adding to it.
And that’s where you come in…
As a Senior Software Developer, you’ll be working with an Agile team that is passionate about diversity, learning, experimentation, and collaboration. You’ll be developing new features in our Rest API, leveraging your expertise to guide technical direction, and fostering a cohesive high-performance team.
You can expect to:
- Collaborate with designers and developers to create an intuitive and high-quality product
- Write and review efficient, testable, and maintainable code
- Design technical approaches to solve complex problems
- Foster a dev culture built on Modern Agile and DevOps
- Develop leadership skills, team-building skills, and mentoring skills
You will focus on:
- Architecting and coding our Rest API built on Ruby on Rails and PostgreSQL
- Developing modern cloud application and event-driven architectures on AWS (Streams, Serverless, Docker, Lambda, WebHooks, etc.)
- Managing Data with DB/BI tools like SQL, Elastic Search, and Tableau
- Automation with our CI/CD pipeline using GitHub and AWS CDK/Cloudformation
You should apply if:
- You have 5+ years of programming experience.
- You have experience with an object-oriented programming language (Ruby, or Java, Python, C#, etc.)
- You have experience developing with Web Frameworks (Ruby on Rails, NextJS, Django, Express, Serverless, etc.)
- You enjoy owning the features you develop. You can understand metrics, optimize performance, and maximize customer value.
It’s a bonus if you have:
- Worked on an Agile team
- Written technical specifications or User Stories
- Built applications on the Cloud (AWS)
- Experience consuming or writing REST APIs (We follow the jsonapi.org spec)
- Are familiar with front-end web frameworks (React, Angular, Vue)
- A diploma, certificate, or training program in software/web development, or, a degree in computer science or engineering
We offer employees:
- The opportunity to work remotely from anywhere in Canada
- Stock options
- Competitive health benefits (dental, vision, paramedical, prescriptions, out-of-country care) that extend to programs including mental health, employee family assistance, virtual health care services, and Best Doctors
- An annual professional development stipend and dedicated time for professional development, including quarterly Hack Weeks
- An annual Wellness stipend towards gym memberships, fitness equipment, sports fees, etc.
- Life Days for anything requiring time away from work outside of vacation time
- Company-wide office closures so our team can collectively take time to recharge
- Highly intentional, progressive practices around feedback, team-building, skills and career development, and peer-to-peer recognition
At Wicket we are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, or age. We provide accommodations for individuals with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If accommodations are required, please indicate in your cover letter.
To apply, please include a note explaining what kind of work you’ve done, what you want to do, and why you think you might be a fit for this role.