VP of Engineering
Wicket is currently looking for a VP of Engineering to lead our product team. The role is responsible for managing a group of full-stack web application developers, providing technical and strategic leadership in the product development process to ensure the timely delivery of features as well as platform implementations for our customers.
Responsibilities can be seen in three broad categories: People, Processes and Technology. The VP of engineering will be acting as a liaison between the business and technical sides of the company working closely with stakeholders of a multidisciplinary team including the CEO, COO and Customer Success and Customer Support leads.
- Be a mentor and provide professional development guidance to engineers
- Conduct regular 1-on-1’s and performance reviews
- Work with the COO to address any HR requests
- Resolve conflict and facilitate communication between team members
Processes and Tools
- Direct oversight of the software development process
- Participate actively in agile methodologies and ceremonies like scrum standup, sprint planning, etc.
- Lead and facilitate development retrospectives
- Coordinate efforts for technical support workload
- Keep track of Key Performance Indicators for the development team
- Continued improvement and refinement of the process as we grow
- Be the champion in tool adoption and ensure efficient utilization of the various software tools for process and documentation.
- Recruit and facilitate onboarding of new members of the engineering team
- Actively participate in the management team in strategic planning for the company
Technology and Product
- Lead and coordinate technical architecture decision making for new features and integrations
- Support product roadmap efforts by providing valuable technical insight to make decisions on priorities and timelines
- Directly supervise the execution of roadmap and coordinate efforts to deliver on time meeting quality and security requirements.
- Act as product owner from a technical perspective and write User Stories and Acceptance Criteria for implementation of features.
- Assess the level of effort to develop features and balance that against business goals and requirements to make decisions on technical approaches.
- Investigate integration feasibility of Wicket against third-party software vendors
- At times, develop technical solutions or prototypes of features or integrations.
- Support business development efforts by engaging with customers and third-party vendors to discuss the overall architecture of Wicket integrations with other systems
Qualifications and Experience
- Previous experience working in technical leadership roles with at least 3-5 direct reports
- Demonstrated experience with agile methodologies
- Examples of mentorship or teaching experience
- Experience recruiting new developers
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely
- Active listening and conflict resolution skills
- Startup experience is a plus
- Previous experience working in a product company is a plus
- Strong background as a full-stack web application developer
- Ability to write code in front and back end languages and frameworks in order to communicate effectively with the engineering team
(Note: writing code is not a requirement of the role)
- Breadth of knowledge about modern web development stacks, API protocols and architectures
- Well versed in SQL and related data technologies
- Previous experience as a technical architect or technical product manager is a plus
- Ideal match if you have experience with our technology stack:
- Ruby on Rails
- JSON API
- ReactJS / Redux
What We Offer at Wicket:
- Full-time employment at a growing SaaS company with a competitive salary
- Comprehensive health benefits and paid vacation time
- Flex environment with option to work from home and/or office
- A culture of learning and support to do it
- An opportunity to work with modern technologies, amazing projects, and like-minded people
- Environmentally friendly atmosphere
- Lots of opportunity for employee engagement through our retrospectives, one-on-ones, quarterly performance reviews and peer-to-peer recognition.
Our Ottawa staff can work from our office or home, and we are accepting applications for remote workers from anywhere in Canada.
When you apply please provide a cover letter clearly explaining how your background is a good fit for this position.
Wicket is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.